Thurnham Castle is located in the northern part of
Thurnham, Kent, just 5 km from Maidstone.
As with a number of castle sites, it appears this site was in use at the time of
the Roman occupation as a watchtower. Later, it was a fortification known as Godard Castle,
founded by a Saxon called Godardis.
In the 12th century, the fortress belonged to the de Say family and then the de
Stephen & Robert de Thurnham crusaded with Richard the Lionheart and became
trusted subjects, with Robert given command of English fleet and later made governor of Cyprus and
his brother Stephen, given the honour of escorting the Queen Mother.
One source indicates Robert de Thurnham never returned from the crusades and the
castle was left to decay.
A Charter in 1215, mentions the lands within the walls of the castle, which may
indicate that it was already in ruins as reported in early 19th century.
There are the remains of some low walls very much overgrown.
Thurnham Castle Map&Location
Castle Hill, Thurnham, Maidstone, Kent ME14 3LE, UK
View Larger Map
Thurnham Castle Photos
Click on the images to enlarge
Thurnham Castle remains - source: wikipedia.org