Overlooking Romney Marsh, Lympne Castle is built on the same
site as Port Lemanis, or Stutfall Castle, as it became known, the last of the Roman Saxon
Shore forts located in Kent.
Originally the sea came up to the walls of Stutfall Castle, but landslides made
it unsafe and it was evenutally abandoned. It has long since collapsed and tumbled down the
Stones from the collapsed castle were used to build an abbey and church during
earlier medieval times and it was the abbey lodgings that became the basis of the late 11th century
semi-fortified archdeacon’s house, which was at one time occupied by Thomas
During the Tudor period the property was rented as a farmhouse, and later sold
in 1860, from which time it was left to decay. It was purchased in 1905 by Sir Robert
Lorimer, who carried out major resotration when he incorporated the castle into modern buildings
providing a private residence.
During World War II, it was used as a watchtower, taking the use of the site in
a full circle.
The Lympne Castle is not open for visits as it is a private
Lympne Castle Map&Location
Lympne Castle is located at the following address: The Street,
Lympne, Kent CT21 4LQ, United Kingdom. Get help with directions using the map provided
View Larger Map