Lochranza Castle History
Located on a narrow spit of land that projects into Loch
Ranza, Lochranza Castle was built of grey stone with red
The doorway was added in the 16th century, with the earlier doorways being
blocked, one of which was located at first floor level.
The Montgomerie family as it is today built Lochranza
in the 16th century, but they added to an old hall house which had been built by the Menteiths
in the late 13th century.
The Montgomeries acquired the castle in 1452, but they lost it to the
Hamiltons in 1705.
In 1897 the north east corner collapsed, being eroded by the sea, but
the building had been roofless since before 1772.
Directions: A841, North Ayrshire, UK
Approximate Geographic Coordinates: 55.705335,-5.291065
View Larger Map
Lochranza Castle Photos
Click on the images to enlarge
Lochranza Castle grounds by Lenny