Kelburn Castle History
The Boyle family have owned Kelburn since 1140, becoming Earls of
Glasgow in 1703. The first Earl assisted in the Union of Parliaments. The 7th Earl was Governor
of New Zealand from 1892-1897.
John Boyle erected the Z-plan tower house in 1581, with the main block
four storeys tall with circular towers and turrets. In 1700 the William and Mary wing was
erected two storeys tall.
Its mason, Robert Caldwell, built it to Lord Boyle’s plans. The
Victorian wing was added in 1879. The tour, can be booked at the park centre, is often led by
the Countess of Glasgow.
The Country Park has various attractions including a museum, walks, a
playground, animals, a Robert Adam memorial, waterfalls and interesting trees and
Kelburn Castle Today - Graffiti Art Work
One of the particular features of the Kelburn Castle is that its walls
are painted by Brazilian artists since 2007.
Originally intended to be a temporary feature of the castle, lasting
until its walls were repaired, in 2011, Lord Glasgow, the owner of Kelburn Castle made a formal
request to Historic Scotland to keep the graffiti art in place.
Kelburn Castle Map&Location
Castle & Country Centre, Fairlie, Ayrshire KA29, United Kingdom. Get help with
directions using the map provided bellow:
View Larger Map
Kelburn Castle Photos
Click on the images to enlarge
Kelburn Castle - Graffiti Art Work by Anne
Kelburn Castle - graffiti detail by Anne