Dunstaffnage Castle is an
impressive fortress comprising a curtain wall built on a solid
Dunstaffnage Castle Historycal
A steep stair and wooden platform lead to the
entrance door, with a passageway into the courtyard. The gatehouse dates from c.1500, and the
upper floors were added c.1600.
This block is still roofed, being restored in 1903,
and the first floor hall contains a display on Argyll castles. The dormers were taken from a
later house built in 1725, with the initials being of Angus and Lilias
Two round towers are located at the north and west
corners of the court, the western one containing a prison.
The 1725 house is located between them. It has a
large fireplace in the kitchen and two decorative fire-surrounds on the floor (missing) above.
In the courtyard is a large well, hewn from the solid rock.
A modern stair leads to the wallhead, and the
battlements afford views of the Firth of Lorn.
The MacDougalls built the originals castle which
dates from the 13th century. They were defeated in 1309 by Robert the Bruce and he granted the
castle to the Campbells.
The castle passed back to the MacDougalls, then to
the Stewarts of Lorn and the Campbells again in 1470, who retained it until 1958 when it was
taken into state care.
Dunstaffnage Mains Farm, Dunbeg, Oban PA37 1PZ. Get help with
directions using the map provided bellow:
View Larger Map