The Brodies have been at Brodie Castle since
1160 when Malcolm IV endowed the lands. The 25th Chief, Ninian Brodie of that Ilk, had the
castle passed to the
Trust in 1980 but continues to live there and takes an active part in the
running of the estate.
Brodie Castle Tour
From the entrance hall, with the guardroom off, one enters the
library, where the pillars are merely decorative and hold books.
The secondary stair, with its stainglass window of the Brodie arms,
leads to the dining room, the ceiling of which is a rich fenestration of wooden
The Blue Sitting Room has a vaulted plaster roof. The Red Drawing Room
was the castle’s original high hall, and is now adorned with a gothic fireplace.
The drawing room follows, then a series of bedrooms, then a nursery
and on to the main staircase. The kitchen is fitted out to reproduce its look when it was added
to the castle in early Victorian times.
Brodie Castle History
Brodie as it stands today owes much to the architect
William Burn who enlarged it in 1824. However, the original Z-plan castle of 1567 survives, and
the harling blends the various additions beautifully.
In 1645 the castle had been partially destroyed by fire by Lord Lewis
Gordon during the Montrose campaigns. Alexander, 19th Brodie, was the Lord Lyon King of Arms,
and his family’s interest in arms is clear from those on display.
Brodie Castle Facts
The policies of 175 acres are also owned by the Trust, and the grounds
are richly wooded.
In the spring there is also a magnificent display of daffodils,
established by the 24th Laird, who bred over 400 varieties himself.
The ninth-century Rodney Stone, a Pictish symbol stone, stands by the
Brodie Castle map&Location
Address: Brodie Castle, Forres, Moray IV36 2TE, United Kingdom. Get
help with directions using the map provided bellow:
View Larger Map