(Aikwood Tower) was built in 1535, and it is located 6
km away from the town of Selkirk, in the Scottish Borders.
James V granted the lands of Aikwood to Michael Scott in 1517,
though the tower may not have been erected until around 1535. A datestone commemorates the
marriage of Robert Scott in 1602.
The tower passed to the Murrays and then back to the Scotts, and
remained in their hands until purchased by the Duke of Buccleuch in the 1940s. The tower had
long been abandoned, however, and was converted for agricultural use.
Externally the tower is very fine, with sheer walls rising to an
ornate corbel course, decorated with saltires. The tower rises to four storeys plus an attic,
the corner cap houses being distinctive roofline features.
Aikwood Tower - Photo
Tower, Ettrickdale, Selkirk TD7, United Kingdom. Get help with